4.03.2020

Social Distancing: Week 3

I think two weeks was sort of a novel experiment, with a hope that maybe we'd realize it was overdone, or it would end surprisingly soon... But at the start of the week, when the president announced we would continue in this manner through April, I think it kind of threw me into a funk. Not that I am a people person, particularly. Not that this is that stressful on us, as we are always at home, I never work, and Bob still has a job. But I see it wearing on the kids- not being able to get out of the house for fun or activities or see friends. And I see it wearing on Bob, having to work from home, and for myself- the days can get long with no place to take the kids aside from a walk or the backyard.

So we trudged through the week. We did school. We played outside. We had online dance and online Taekwondo and online music. We didn't stress about fitting in all the new extras. And we felt almost normal busy, but with a haze of discontent with the situation.

As we woke up to a rainy day with no promise of playing outside, I have to admit, I was less than thrilled.

But in the fashion of many other bloggers, I am going to turn my cranky, complainy mood around. Many people are posting about how they are thankful for what this unprecedented situation is giving them. Or about what they realize that they were too busy to see before. I am happy that so many people can see the light in a gloomy time.


I already know what many are coming to discover...

I am thankful that this is (close to) my normal every day.

That every day I get to spend the whole day with my kids.

That every day I get to teach my kids and learn from them, rather than giving that job to someone else.

That every day I get to chat with them over lunch.

That every day my kids get hours to go outside and play with each other and pretend and imagine.

That every day my kids get time to themselves, to choose whichever activities they like.

That my children already know (mostly) how to play together, get along and resolve disputes.

That when our afternoon activities come around (online or in real life), my kids aren't already burnt out from their day.

That every day we eat dinner together, even if sometimes it doesn't happen until 7.

That we (usually) really enjoy all the time we have together.


This isn't normal, and the news is uncomfortable to hear, and it doesn't feel good to be in a state of constant concern, or worry, or frustration. But in such a time, I am thankful for my supportive husband and these adorable kiddos.














No comments:

Post a Comment