A Long Drive to NH

We drove to NH Friday after MiniM.E. was done with school.  LittleL.G. is doing really well with sleep training, so against my better-mommy-judgement, I took the advice to let her sleep at home for her major naps and we left after she woke up from her second nap assuming she would be well rested and happy for a couple hours and then take a catnap for the last leg of the trip.

Well, mommy-judgement should always be trusted because the trip was the worst trip to NH we have made yet.  There was a really bad trip when I was driving solo with MiniM.E. when she was just older than LittleL.G. and it was hot and she was sweaty and she cried for 45 minutes and I finally stopped to take a break and she ended up being fine the rest of the way.  There was the time we left home and LittleL.G. screamed for almost an hour before we stopped at McDonald's to get dinner and she ate and slept the rest of the way.  There was the time that LittleL.G. cried a lot for half an hour and that made MiniM.E. cry too so we had two crying kids.  But Friday's trip: takes the cake.

LittleL.G. was happy in the car on the way to pick up MiniM.E. from school: so far, so good.  LittleL.G. was happy to see MiniM.E. and happily played with her toys while we were stuck in traffic for half an hour waiting to get on the highway: so far, so good.  We finally started driving more than 10mph and LittleL.G. started getting a little fussy, but no screaming: so far, so good.  Before we even left Saratoga LittleL.G. started throwing her toys and wasn't happy playing with anything: not as good.  And when we were only half an hour from home (even though we'd been in the car for almost an hour and a half) she started crying inconsolably: not good.  Crying continued for the next hour and a half: want to pull hair out.  We stopped for dinner and LittleL.G. was fine as soon as I picked her up.  I was sure a break and some food would put her to sleep for the rest of the trip... but no.  More crying and more crying.  She finally slept for about 20 minutes after another half hour bout of crying but it didn't last long and there was another half hour of crying before we arrived at Gram and Grumpy's.  Note: leaving AFTER a nap. DOES. NOT. WORK.

Plan for the drive home: leave FOR her afternoon nap.  Fingers crossed!
no permanent damaged caused... still a happy baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment