A Busy Weekend in Saratoga: The Adirondack Balloon Festival

We went to this THREE times last year (only one was successful), but we thought it was so cool that I wanted to take MiniM.E. back at least once.  She hasn't been sleeping well, so there was no way in H-E-double hockey sticks I was waking her up at 4am to drive up for the 6:30 launch, so I thought I'd take her Friday night.

With all the "success" we had last year, I should have known better, but in the spur of the moment it sounded like a good idea.  I planned on driving up right after MiniM.E.'s nap, getting there in about 45 minutes, 15 minutes before the balloons were to inflate, watch them, get back in the car and be home by 7.

Here's what happened instead.

There was a line of cars at my exit.
I took the next one.
Got lost finding the street I was supposed to take.
Turned around and drove past it AGAIN.
Finally found it with 10 minutes to get there on time.
Ran into stopped traffic.
Sat in traffic for 15 minutes with crying toddler.
Decided to turn around and go home.
Toddler screams to see balloons.
Decide to see if it's walkable.
Ask passerby who informs me it's 1.5 miles to the airport.
Park on side street and get wagon out.
Shove crying toddler into wagon and hoof it towards airport determined to get there before balloons.
Walk for 1.5 miles.  No sign of airport.  Lots of cars.
Keep walking. Toddler keeps crying. Start run walking.
Finally see flashing lights at airport entrance and feel relieved.
Realize there is another mile to walk INTO the airport.  Feel like crying too.
BUT we finally made it. 
All was good until I realized there was no way we were ever going to be able to walk back to my car in the dark.  Thank God for husbands!  

While we waited to be rescued...

Unsure if it was worth the wagon ride.

Happiest at the lawn ornaments

Unhappy when one almost hit her in the face

Intrigued by the "I'm sorry" present

Confused.  Not what she was expecting.

Happy again.  And we did get to see some balloons!!

Our attempt to find Bob once he finally got there to rescue us was about as successful as the trip in... but at least I didn't have to walk back five miles to my car!  We'll know better next year.  I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment